1. The Edinburgh International Festival was launched in 1947.
A post war 'platform for the flowering of the human spirit'.
2. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival was founded by gatecrashers....
8 theatre companies gatecrashed the 1947 International Festival to perform on 'the fringe'. It was formed to be an 'open access arts event, that accommodates anyone with a story to tell'.
3. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the largest arts festival in the world.
In 2015 some 2,290,000 tickets were sold.
4. The 2016 Fringe Guide is 400 x A4 pages!
5. The Edinburgh Festival contributes £260 million to the Scottish economy.
And the equivalent of over 5000 full time jobs.
6. Performers come from over 48 countries.
Including, Tago: a mixture of Korean traditional instruments, varying from gigantic drums to small percussion with a hint of martial arts.
7. 294 venues host shows.
8. Comedy will make up 34% of shows.
9. Music makes up 15% of shows.
10. There will be 50, 266 performances.