1. The Edinburgh International Festival was launched in 1947.
A post war 'platform for the flowering of the human spirit'.
2. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival was founded by gatecrashers....
8 theatre companies gatecrashed the 1947 International Festival to perform on 'the fringe'. It was formed to be an 'open access arts event, that accommodates anyone with a story to tell'.
3. The Edinburgh Fringe Festival is the largest arts festival in the world.
In 2015 some 2,290,000 tickets were sold.
4. The 2016 Fringe Guide is 400 x A4 pages!
5. The Edinburgh Festival contributes £260 million to the Scottish economy.
And the equivalent of over 5000 full time jobs.
6. Performers come from over 48 countries.
7. 294 venues host shows.
8. Comedy will make up 34% of shows.
9. Music makes up 15% of shows.
10. There will be 50, 266 performances.
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!